Crumbs about this and that. Food, fashion, and the many fancies of a young baking professional from Texas.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Do ice cream truck drivers have turf wars?

I wouldn't be surprised in Poughkeepsie. If the ominous doppler downshift of a passing rusty old school bus droning "The Entertainer" from the time the local schools get out until most children have gone to bed isn't a horrifying alarm to most parents, then something is terribly wrong.

"HEY! HEEEEEY! I WANNA TOUCH YO CHILDRENS!"

What ever happened to the converted antique milk trucks of my childhood? You might be lucky today to find a driver who has bothered to shave or change out of whatever they slept in last night. What a pitiful way to make a seasonal living. I feel the days of the ice cream truck have long passed, in a world where people can't trust people.

On a happier note, I rode my sidewalk cruiser down to finally try out Babycakes. I was pleasantly surprised. Nothing appeared to be overpriced as I had previously been informed. The waitstaff was attentive and numerous. I enjoyed a BLT&C, a "twist" on a classic. I'm still not sure if the 'C' stands for the swiss cheese or the soft, tender ciabatta it was served on. Regardless, I was very satisfied. The place was packed, the sidewalk seating was all taken, and live jazz was being performed inside. I thought I had them when I realized there wasn't a napkin in sight. I was about to commit the unholiest of sins and do a stealth hand wipe on my white pants (gasp!), when, as if she could read my mind, one of the counter girls appeared at my side with a whole caddy, just for me. Thanks for lunch, Babycakes.